Role of the Assessment Liaison (AL)
Departmental Assessment Liaisons (AL) are faculty or department head representatives from each academic department whose primary role is to increase communication and input from their college and department regarding institutional assessment processes. They are also responsible for keeping their department and their respective academic deans apprised of developments in general education learning outcomes assessment and progress on NMSU’s Quality Initiative project. Their primary role is to be a liaison – to keep their departments and colleges informed concerning progress and projects related to these initiatives, and to provide feedback that represents the opinions, concerns and perspectives of their department and college on these initiatives.
The idea of “Assessment Liaisons” originated from a desire to improve communication between the Committee for Assessment of Student Learning in General Education (CASL-GE) and the academic departments where general education courses are taught – both lower-division “G” and upper-division “V” (Viewing a Wider World) courses. The original role of the AL was to receive communication from the CASL-GE, share that information with faculty and students in their departments, and provide a response from their department as needed. Additionally, the AL was expected to bring information, questions and/or concerns from their department to the CASL-GE for consideration and review. More recently, with the implementation of NMSU’s Open Pathways Quality Initiative project for our continued institutional accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission, the role of the AL has expanded to include communication concerning the Quality Initiative project, and for communication and representation to extend beyond the department to the college. Toward that end, AL will also receive periodic communication from the Quality Initiative Team, and will be encouraged to respond as needed or desired.
Because of their role regarding general education learning outcomes assessment, AL should be involved in the instruction of general education courses in their department unless no general education courses are offered in the department.
The specific role of Assessment Liaisons as it relates to general education (GE) is to
- Keep their department and college informed of ongoing assessment of the GE
- Represent their department and college concerning GE assessment and related issues
- Participate in a scoring session of student work each spring
The specific role of Assessment Liaisons as it relates to the Quality Initiative is to
- Keep their department and college informed of ongoing activities for and progress on the Quality Initiative
- Represent their department and college concerning the Quality Initiative and related issues
Service as an AL includes
- Attendance at one, 1hr open forum on GE Assessment in the fall (date and time TBA)
- Attendance at one, 1 hr open forum on the Quality Initiative each semester (date and time TBA)
- Participation in one, 3-4hr scoring session of student work in the spring (usually March – date and time TBA – lunch provided)
If the AL is unable to attend either of these sessions, it is their responsibility to identify a proxy from their department to attend.
Past designated AL